Tuesday, April 2, 2013

We are now Batman and Robin...

Hey eddabody,

Thank you for the package this week.  I loved the Happy Beaster and Elder Gentry thought it was funny too. You gave me really everything I needed and I just happened to be running out of my hair stuff so it worked out perfectly. So thank you for sending that stuff to me berry berry much. I feel so grateful.

[After some nice, personal notes to family members, Elder Soper talks about his week:]

I had my first shrimp Po' Boy yesterday and a Cajun pulled pork sandwich last night that a member bought for us. Man it was so good and I am excited to take you guys to some of these places when we all come here.



It sounds like your Easter Sunday was awesome and it is such a cool holiday. We are able to think about our Savior Jesus Christ and all that he did for us. He loves us so much and he did it for everyone. His Atonement is infinite and divine and all we have to do is accept it and we will begin to become more like him. I am very thankful that I get to share this happy message with the people here and I am very thankful that you were able to share that with me when I was growing up. Haley sent this to me:

Thy sacrifice transcended
The mortal law's demand;
Thy mercy is extended
To ev'ry time and land

That is a line from a Hymn that they sung and I thought that it was a perfect way to bring the message of Easter. Thank you Sister!

This week was pretty great. Oh, first of all Elder Gentry and I are staying together. We were both really surprised that we were, we were almost 80 percent positive he was leaving. But like you said Dad, transfers are never really logical, but they are what the Lord wants to happen. I am excited that we will be able to stay together, because we have become good friends and have really gotten into a groove with missionary work. Elder Gentry is also the district leader this transfer and so things will get a lot crazier with a lot more exchanges, but I think that it will be good for us. We are going to learn a lot this transfer haha and it is going to cause us to grow a lot. A transfer would have been a welcome change, but this way we will get the best of both worlds. We are now Batman and Robin. And that quote that a man is only as good as his wife is true in missionary work. The only sad thing is I am representing the wife... I am probably the closest to a girl in the district though so it is alright haha.  But the name tag says Elder, so I am a man, yes I am.  But I think it is true that a missionary is only as good as his companion and that is why it is so important to be unified as a companionship. So I will do my best to support Elder Gentry in his new responsibility and try to help him become the best district leader that he can be.

We had dinner with Sister J. and her family for easter and it was a lot of fun; it reminded me a lot of the family parties that we would have. And guess what we had... ham.  Bro Thomas was right. She also gave us some Easter baskets and I was very grateful and I felt really loved. I like it here in Plaquemine.

I don't have too much time. It has been a crazy P-day. But remind me to tell you about the exchange I had with Elder Burraston and the youth baptist preacher. Actually I will tell you a short version. We got into a conversation with a baptist preacher and at first we were just talking and he wanted to know a little bit more about our missions. He asked us if we had done our research and said he hoped we weren't blindly following. We were able to share our testimonies with him and it was a cool experience to stick up for what I believe.  Lets see a few more things. Sis Jo. this week got Bells Palsy and the left side of her face is paralyzed (hopefully temporarily) and we were able to give her a blessing. It looks a lot like what Grandma had. We built a BBQ grill and it was an hour of trying to screw on legs and stuff haha. We have still been doing our scripture study class and the Potential Investigator we have gotten out of that came to church this week.  L. has a tatoo on his chest that says JEUSE and we asked him what it meant and he said the guy mispelled Jesus haha. We had a good laugh about that and its the thought that counts right? We taught F. about the redeeming powers of repentance and the spirit was really strong in that lesson. It was short and sweet, but powerful. He recognizes that his drinking is a problem and that he needs to do something about it and the amazing thing is is if he truly repents, it will be as if it never happened in gods eyes. How cool is that? I love F. a lot and I am realizing more and more that missionary work is all about love. Shannon was right when she said the best way to teach is to love.

Well I better get going and remind me also maybe when I train later down the road how you guys were such good parents. It amazes me haha. I love you guys a lot and I am always thinking about you.

Prayers and thoughts always

Love

Elder Soper

Ps  I will send some pictures next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment