Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Tank you, tank you, everyone for the many Birthday wishes...

Dear my homies,

I really loved conference this weekend. I thought it was so cool what President Monson said before his talk, that this conference is one of the most spiritual and inspiring that he has ever attended, which is amazing considering he has gone to about 100 over his period as an apostle! I think that is so true and all of the talks were inspired . I really loved Elder Uchtdorf's talks both on Saturday and Priesthood session and both had to deal with people making mistakes. I loved how he said that the God is perfect, his church is perfect, the doctrine is pure, but the people he works with are imperfect and imperfect people make mistakes. I love that, I feel that it was such a wise, humble, and inviting explanation of what our church is. We don't claim to be perfect, but we do claim that what we believe will bring you absolute happiness. I also liked how he talked about learning from our mistakes and not dwelling in them, rising up and becoming men of God. It reminds me of a quote that I really like from Batman," Bruce why do we fall down? So we can learn to pick ourselves up." I think I live by that quote haha because I fall down a lot literally and figuratively. Pres. Uchtdorf said something to that effect like" We aren't defined by the amount of times that we stumble, but by the amount of times that we rise up again, dust ourselves off and continue on." As we are on this earth it is a 100% probability that we will fail at some point haha kind of a depressing statistic without the knowledge of this gospel, that it is a gospel of change and redemption. We can always change, turn our hearts towards God and become better and learn from our mistakes. His talks were probably my favorite (as you can tell haha) But I also really liked Elder Oaks (about families), Elder Hollands (increased my desire to go into Psychiatry when he talked about how the best treatment is both from God and the amazing developments of medicine and therapy) and Elder Dubes (the guy from Africa). Haha his talk was just so engaging and full of energy, I couldn't help but be excited and full of he spirit. I am looking forward to getting the Conference issue of the Ensign, I am going to buy this issue and study it galore. I loved the feeling and thoughts that came to my mind as I was watching it about how you guys were watching it at the exact same time,s singing the exact same songs and feeling the exact same spirit. That was really cool. It was a fun weekend, we watched at our ward building and we were there all day both days, eating lunch, playing games and talking in between sessions. 

Man I am excited o have some good homemade pizza one day. I have really gotten out of the habit of cooking good food. I haven't stooped to the level of frozen food, but it ends up being pretty simple and quick things like sandwiches and pasta. We just don't have the time to do it, but I am picking up some tricks little by little and I think I could throw together some mean southern dishes in the future haha with a little help from recipe.com

Tank you tank you everyone for the many Birthday wishes. I am grateful everyday for your prayers and love you a lot!!!!!!!!!

This has been a pretty crazy week though. Haha a really crazy week actually. So on monday we were riding our bikes back from the Pattens and as we were turning left down the street to get to our appartment, a guy ran the stop sign, didn't see Elder Bennett and hit him. Elder Bennett was fine, no scratches, his bike wasn't damaged, just a little bit of dirt on his bum. The guys (his name was columbus) car though had a big scratch and dent in it. I am so so so so so so  grateful  that he is okay and since Elder Bennett has such a positive and happy attitude, he has just been laughing about it all week. We are definitely protected and I know angels were there protecting us from major harm. A lot of things fell through this week and not a ton happened. We saw people like Bro Polkey, Phillip and Magge, who are awesome, the Smiths, who are also awesome and the Voisins. Sis Voisin is actually coming to Utah this week to try out for the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, her son lives in American Fork....maybe I could get her to come visit you guys. Haha we will see. 

I am extremely grateful for Elder Bennett though, because he really does follow the counsel of Elder Wirthlin when he says, "Come what may and love it." No matter what comes our way, we have been able to look at the positive and enjoy our journey every step of the way. But this weekend was interesting. I don't know if you guys heard about Tropical Storm Karen, but it was supposed to be headed straight for us. The mission sent all of the Houma Elders up to our apartment for the weekend since Houma was in the red zone. It was different, but a lot of fun to house 6 missionaries in one apartment. Needless to say it smelled like a lot of sweaty young men, but we had a lot of fun. We  played guitar, talked, studied together and played the awkward family photos game haha. We were never on lock down and he storm actually died down before it ever got to us, but it was fun to get to know the elders better. Elder Sun, the one Auntie Kare translated for, is super funny and is just really down to earth. We are going to go play sand volley ball with everyone today. I am glad to get back in to the regular missionary routine though, it is nice to have routine. 

Thank you again for all that you do, I really love you guys and I will be looking out for the mysterious package. I will be thinking of you on my 20th birthday and guess what I found a hair on my chest... I am growing up!! haha Just kidding I already have like 15 haha I love you guys a lot and am so grateful that you guys are my best friends.

Prayers and Thoughts always,

Love, 

Elder Devin Soper

No comments:

Post a Comment