Wednesday, September 3, 2014

It's a small world out here...

Dear Familia,

I couldn't believe that it was already Labor Day, my favorite holiday ;), already haha. It seems like the time is flying by a little too fast. I'm glad that you guys had such a good weekend though. Hanging out in Spring City, making a little money, eating a little food. Good times. 

It's a small world out here. It has been fun to see all the little connections since we have been here. We met Kristina, she was one of your former students and then I also got to see Jack Mallard on campus. He was telling me about how you wrote him an acceptance letter to get into the PhD program here, and we just caught up a little bit. There is also a guy in our Singles ward name Bret and he asked me if I knew a Natalie Soper. I said I indeed know one of them and it is my cousin. It turns out that they knew each other back at BYU. Pretty cool huh. I guess the Sopers are famous or something. 

Shoot I am sorry that we got the wrong address to you. Hopefully it all works out. Maybe someone needed that little package and letters a little more this week haha.

That is cool that Sister Hansen said that. I have been really grateful that I have gotten to know them and that they get to lead the mission. Yeah I heard about that story, but only little details. So it was fun to read it all. I actually know that missionary and we are pretty good friends and he is such a cool guy. 

Well we have to get going pretty soon since we didn't have as much time to email this week. But I will send one more cool story that happened this week. 

So on Friday all of our appointments fell through and we were heading home on the bus for dinner break and both Elder White and I had the prompting to talk to this guy sitting across from us. Elder White acted on it and we just started a simple conversation with him. His name is Spock and he is from China. We were able to share with him a little bit about what we do, who Christ is and what he means to us and we were even able to give him a Book of Mormon. It was cool to see how grateful he was when we gave it to him. He kept expressing his gratitude to us for sharing it with him. We were feeling kind of bold at this point so we started talking to another person on the bus and the woman sitting next to us. We quickly found out that this girl had met missionaries before and it had only been the night before. She met the sisters on the bus the just one day earlier and we were able to follow up with her. How cool is that? We gave her a Book of Mormon and she read the introduction right there while riding on the bus. The Sisters are hopefully going to be able to teach her soon. Students here are definitely a lot more curious and willing to learn. It makes it tough with the proselyting restrictions (we can't actively do that) But we can just talk to anyone we want and get to know them. Almost everytime though someone asks us what we are doing. Campus is very eclectic though with people from all over, with different personalities and different interests. I am learning a lot as we go and we are making a lot of new friends. Next week I will talk a little bit more about how our days go and what we do, give you a good picture of work on LSU campus.

I love you guys! Hope you have a great week.

Love,


Elder Devin Soper

No comments:

Post a Comment